Monday, May 23, 2016

Week 4: Building Base Knowledge

    I discovered Goodreads in high school and haven't been active on it since, so it was fun to see the old stuff left over compared with what I'm reading now.  I like lists and categorizing and keeping record of things, but its pretty tough for me to stay active with Goodreads.  I think that it will be more fun / helpful when I add more friends.  
    Goodreads recommended "Olive's Ocean" because I read "Pictures of Hollis Woods," which I thought was a great recommendation.  Both books are about children dealing with loss and trauma, and are gentle and uplifting in tone.  "Crown Duel" was recommended because I read "Ella Enchanted," which sounds awesome and like something I would really enjoy reading.  
     I'm recommending "Midnight Riot" to Jason, because of his interest in Harry Potter and "The Cuckoo's Calling."  "Midnight Riot" starts as a British crime drama and starts becoming more and more magical, until eventually the main character is training to be a wizard.  He's introduced to a whole new magical world like Harry Potter.  The pace is fast and the tone thrilling / magical realism.  I am going to recommend a collection of Pablo Neruda's poems to Sara because she read "Vivas to Those Who Have Failed" by Martin Espada.  Pablo Neruda has had such a big influence on Spanish language poetry and politics in poetry that his work would be a good reference when reading / thinking about Martin Espada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment