Monday, June 13, 2016

Week 6: Building Base Knowledge (Genres)

Assignment 1: The genre website that I chose to follow was RT Book Reviews.  I chose this because I don't read a lot of romance and wanted to explore more about the genre.  I love rom-com movies, but the only experience I have with romantic books has been Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Piccoult, neither of which I was psyched about.  My experience following RT Book Reviews has broadened my horizons in terms of romance sub-genres.  There is a lot of different directions the genre goes in. What I especially think is fun is that Romance is mostly girl-power, catering to female interest.  It was fun learning more about a space that is produced primarily for a female audience.

Assignment 2 / 3: 
Science Fiction Hallmarks / Appeal: Pushes the bounds of possibility in terms of science and technology, explores ethical considerations of scientific and technological progress.  Character development is often driven by plot / circumstance.  ex. The Knife of Never Letting Go, Ender's Game, and The Water Knife.

Fantasy Hallmarks / Appeal: Alternate worlds, heroic protagonists, and good vs. evil plot-lines.  ex. A Wizard of Earth Sea, The Night Circus, and The Name of the Wind.

Urban Fiction Hallmarks / Appeal: An city setting with a gritty tone, explores troubled characters and cautionary plot-lines, usually about the urban African American experience.  ex. The Coldest Winter Ever, True to the Game, and Soul Mates Dissipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment